What Makes an Ankle Hurt?
The ankle joint is where the bones of the foot and leg meet. The up and down motion of the foot is controlled by this joint. Inflammation or injury to the cartilage, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones inside the ankle can all cause the ankle to hurt. Common causes of ankle pain usually include:
- Sprain or injury
- Arthritis (wear and tear)
- Achilles tendonitis
- Nerve Damage
What Symptoms Are Associated with Ankle Pain Conditions?
- Cannot bear weight on ankle
- Instability or Weakness
When Should I Visit the Doctor’s Office?
Even simple ankle injuries can cause a lot of discomfort. It is helpful to employ the RICE method. The RICE method will involve:
- Rest– Take a break and keep weight off the ankle
- Ice– Utilize an ice pack for 20 minutes a few times a day
- Compression– To minimize swelling use a compression bandage
- Elevation– elevate the ankle above the heart to minimize swelling
When the above methods do not improve symptoms, you should visit the doctor. Most ankle pain can be treated with conservative measures.